Friday, November 12, 2010

The last resort of the dim-witted

I couldn't help myself.  When I read this on the CHDC's blog which was meant to be part of an indictment against an Albertan horse breeder, I had to respond.  This person wrote:
1.       Your morals are inconceivable glad you are Canadian not American my father who served along side the canadian royal air force and the RAF stated there were differences, now I truly believe he was right ours is a moral question yours is an excuse. This is the 21 century there is such a thing as genetics, use it, do not over breed. I will pray for your soul.
I suspect that this sort of person will only pray for an American's soul.  It reads like that false piety one reserves for people one cannot argue with because the complexities of the issue far outstrip anything one's feeble mind can grasp.  This was my reply--not on behalf of the Albertan breeder but on behalf of staying focussed on the main issue:
No need to be jingoistic here. The US can afford to play holier-than-thou since it banned horse slaughter on its own soil yet still sends its horses to abattoirs in Canada and Mexico, or in some cases, abandons its horses by the side of anonymous roads like roadkill. As one US auctioneer said in the Channel 13 report from Indiana when questioned about auction horses being transported to Canada for slaughter: “that’s another country. I have nothing to say about what’s done in another country".  A minor but deadly hypocrisy there, don’t you think? And Canada and Mexico play lapdog to the US’ preening of its morality–all the worse for them. The heinousness of horse slaughter transcends national boundaries: we’re all guilty so don’t make it about national loyalties. It’s about horses abandoned, transported and eviscerated alive, or left to languish until death is their only reprieve. It’s about them.
Btw, that channel 13 Indianapolis report is one of the most balanced and most thorough I've ever seen.   There were many other replies to the Albertan breeder which were civil, factual, based on their own experiences as breeders, and--yes, angry and disgusted--but nothing like the silly petulance of the above which didn't even address the issue(s).  I learned a lot about breeding from them and nothing at all from the prayerful poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment